Review of Contents
There are five sets of documents, the first three are from the Merioneth History and Record Society Journal (MHRSJ). The support of the MHRS Trustees in allowing us to use their material is very much appreciate. The penultimate (Llwyngwril Crown Rentals 1592) was translated by Sue Passmore.
These documents have to be checked manually as they are PDFs of scanned Journal entries, and the text is really just a picture. However, you might be lucky and pick up a hit from the MRHS Index first.
To see the Parishes and Townships covered see 'Other maps' on the Home Page.
1. The Hearth Tax 1662: MHRSJ 2:1 (1953) 19-37. This is a useful document which covers the whole of Merioneth but some 'Hundreds' do not show the house names, just the owners. So it is a bit hit and miss. What the Hearth Tax was is shown at the beginning of the article.
2. The Estimanner Crown Rental 1633: MHRSJ 2:4 (1956) 312-322. This is a useful document which covers the Townships and Parishes of Estimanner (see Parishes and Townships map of Merioneth for what is covered). Information on Rentals is shown at the beginning of the The Ardudwy Crown Rental.
3. The Ardudwy Crown Rental 1623: MHRSJ XX (2009) 365-389. This is a useful document which covers the Townships and Parishes of Ardudwy (see Parishes and Townships map of Merioneth for what is covered). Information on the Rental is shown at the beginning of the document.
4. The Llwyngwril Crown Rental 1592: National Archives LR2/236. This is part of the Rentals for Talybont, Estimanner and Penllyn. With the exception of Llwyngwril they have not yet been translated and are difficult to read. They are in similar format to the other Rentals - see the beginning of the The Ardudwy Crown Rental. (This document can be searched as a searchable PDF but it is advised to do a manual search).
5. Parochialia 1592-1599: Parochialia is a geographic dictionary of various parishes of Wales undertaken by Edward Lhuyd and his team between 1692 and 1699. Not all parishes were visited and not all the houses in a parish recorded. However, it gives a good snapshot of the time. This extract contains 6 lists of houses in the parishes of: Llanelltyd, Talyllyn, Llanfor, Llanfihangel-y-traethe, Maentwrog, and Llandecwyn. There are other Merioneth parishes shown in Parochialia but they are now covered by Denbighshire.